Key Stages 1 & 2
We’re Working at the Roundhouse
- Come and discover what it was really like to work in an engine shed.
- Using our handling collection, be detectives and learn about the strange and wonderful objects used at the site.
- Put on your work clothes and explore the Roundhouse and its engines.
- What was it like to work with steam engines and later, diesel? Which was easiest?
- End your day with a poem and a craft activity on the Learning Coach.
People of the Industrial Revolution
- Meet the people who led the way with the railways and ironworks in the industrial revolution and have a go at developing your own railway system with our construction kits.
- Discover our STEM exhibition and learn about the amazing technology developed to make transport easier.
- End your session with lunch on the Learning Coach.
The Science of Transport
Please note – this session is only available on Thursdays and Fridays
- Spend the morning in the Roundhouse to find out about the fascinating technologies used on the railways.
- Explore our STEM exhibition and complete our science packs to earn your scientist stamp.
- Complete your day with an afternoon at the Chesterfield canal and choose from the following options:
Option A: go on a wildlife walk and take part in some pond dipping
Option B: find out about friction and forces and how they improved transport.
Optional extra: take a ride on a canal boat!
Stories and Poems on the Learning Coach
We offer a range of storytelling experiences and poetry readings on our restored Learning Coach with literacy activities to follow up.
Contact us for more details about what we can offer as a stimulus for children’s writing.
For STEM based work before your visit or for back in the classroom, please see our downloadable learning resources below.